Monday, October 13, 2008

Not the Day I had in Mind

Originally I thought that I had this day off and assumed that meant Eleanor did. This is all thanks to a very wonderful but unorganized teacher of mine who canceled class this morning. So I had all of these grand illusions in my head of a day filled with wild animals or just being lazy. My dreams were all shattered last Monday when Eleanor's teacher called to reschedule the teacher/parent conference to Monday. I thought, "oh well, guess I'll just have to be lazy alone." Then I went to my night class where we discussed the upcoming exam....which is tonight.

I have to say, this class is rather disappointing. The exam will be all short answer and essay. I don't think I've done that since either freshmen composition in college, or English in high school. I guess the reason I have a problem with that is I don't think I'll study as much as I would have for multiple choice. The real problem is that the class really isn't challenging or interesting. I will admit I am learning more about research, but the class is supposed to be an in depth look at Carbohydrates, Proteins and Fats. The design of the class has a huge emphasis on Inborn Errors of Metabolism. I should be jumping for joy, considering my last years experience in the field is primarily in Metabolics. Not so. If I explained why I think this is an inappropriate emphasis I'd bore you all to death.

This is my first experience with graduate school. I have to admit I'm terrified with the idea that I can't get a "C". I am even more terrified now that I've discovered I have no interest in this class. Hopefully I'll still put forth enough effort not to get myself suspended. Just hard to care about school right now when there is so much else going on in my life. Makes me wonder how I'll get through the spring semester.....

Anyhow, I thought I'd try to turn this mess of a depressing blog around by telling you all about the surgery I was able to watch last Tuesday. I watched a Live donor renal transplant at UCI! Amazing what they can do laproscopically these days. It was unbelievable to see the life of the recipient transformed over the course of just days. His phosphorus, creatinine and Glomerular filtration rate went down to normal levels in less than 48 hours after 2 years of hemodialysis and so much struggle. I wish I could have taken a picture for you of the person's face post transplant. The person never stopped smiling.

All kind of thoughts went through my head during this experience. Would I be willing to do that for a family member? For a stranger? Believe it or not...people do it all the time. Did you know that in other countries people can pay other people to give them an organ? We don't allow that in the US. However, all the medical care is free to the donor, and the reward is great in other ways. Just something to think about.

Last, if anyone is interested in sponsoring Eleanor to raise money for a kid at CHOC , let me know. I have more details if you are.

1 comment:

K10 said...

I hope you can stay motivated. How awesome to be able to see a surgery like that.
Take care.